Wednesday, October 31, 2007

NEVER TRUST A MAN NAMED "BOOBIE"

AS a child growing up in lovely South County | Affton area my family raised me on a healthy dose of three dog night & fleetwood mac. I remember drawing Mr. T in various forms with my dad who would be drawing birhtday posters for people at work/family members while listening to KSHE 95 (real rock radio). From these early memories I realized if I could combine my love for music with my love for art/design I would achieve my perfect job.

ABOUT two years ago I was asked to work on some artwork for a semi-local, semi-talented tough guy/mosh band from Springfield, IL. At the time I was really into working with bands and trying to help out a scene that I really had no reason being apart of, outside of being in a band that was loosely related. Regardless, Pound For Pound came to me with a loose concept that they described as "an album for our friends who we lost this past year." They wanted to use very gloomy/drab imagery with a color palette of reds, blacks and white.


WHEN Pound for Pound dropped off their album info, they mentioned that they only really needed a few "tweeks" to a layout they already had set up. When I opened the disc I found a nice window doc and a low res dpi image of what looked like a funeral procession. I quickly went to work trying to set up a look that would show the bands "gloomy" imagery while keeping a kind of "hand crafted" look.


THE first round of proofs went over pretty well. Sadly, the patience of the band quickly evaporated as "whenever you get it done" apparently means "we want it done 2 weeks ago." The project was never 100% completed, but these images show the layout and the feel of the album. Lesson learned? Springfield, IL is not only the worst city in the world...it also breeds the worst people in the world (sorry Coder).



No comments: