Thursday, November 15, 2007

FROM THIS I'VE ESCAPED

IT has been some time since I have done any work for bands. Truthfuly, after about 5 years of intense work getting my name out there, dealing with a full time job & 7 nights a week of freelance work, I just burnt myself out. That being said, the last project that I really had the chance to work on was for "From This We Escape". The band had recorded this album months before they broke up and many people thought the album would never see the light of day. Luckily, Dark Front records owner (and St. Louis legend) Deye Mofo decided he wanted to release this album to remember the good times of the band.


THE first round of proofs produced a concept that was a back tray to cd booklet "one piece" cover. The idea was to give an interesting package layout that was a little out of the "norm". The proof recieved mix results and I was asked to produce another concept. Unfortanetly this request would produce a about a 8 month hold on the project as Deye Mofo ran into some bad luck with his car. The project was thought to be a lost cause.


ABOUT a year after the first proof was presented, Deye Mofo called me up and asked if I was still interested in doing the layout. I agreed to give it another shot since at the time I was not swamped with work & I never like seeing something unfinished. The second round of proofs was left to me to come up with the concepts and planning. After a few nights of sketching and concepting the above cover was produced.


AGAIN missing the mark Deye Mofo and I discussed what exactly he was trying to show with this release. After a very long conversation I went back to work with the notes and sketches from the brainstorm session. The following images are what came from the conversation and oddly enough the proof was approved. Unfortanetly as the final "t" was being crossed, Deye Mofo again ran into financial problems and the project never saw the light of day. It was still a great experience and I hope someday the album comes out.


No comments: