Thursday, November 29, 2007

POSTERS, POSTERS & MORE POSTERS

GOING through my on-line portfolio I realized that I've done over 200 flyers for various shows/tours/bands/events in the past 8 years. It's weird to think back at all the good times I had at these events, seeing those amazing shows & the people I met. The hard thing about doing flyers and tour posters, to me at least, is keeping a consistent look for each band and/or creating a look only for one show.


THE hardest band to consistently come up with creative ways to present the image they were going for was The Rushmore Academy. (http://www.myspace.com/rushmoreacademy) I'm not what you would call "hip to what kids like" or "current kid fashions" and I don't really think I have been since I stopped working at Hot Topic in 2002. Rushmore is a very pop-punk-rock project from St. Louis who, like most pop-punk-rock bands, make a living off of selling their look as much as their music.





WITH Step On It! it was a lot easier for me to convey a message since I was an active member of the band for several years. We had an established sort of feel for our winter tour simply based off of the 7" we had recently released. Working with Collective Records was another great project simply because everybody I worked with was either a good friend or a good band that I could get good sense of who they were.






RECENTLY I've been trying to slowly take on more freelance projects with bands again. I stopped doing them about a year ago, simply because of lack of time & interest in being ripped off. Loving music, the bands you work with & just helping people out is a great way to get into some shows for free. Just a helpful tip...

No comments: